Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The BATMAX Experience!


When I first heard that Christopher Nolan was taking on the Batman franchise a couple of years ago, I was blown away. Batman is my favorite comic book character and I enjoyed the movies -- but didn't adore them -- and it was about time that someone made a REAL film on the Dark Knight. Nolan succeeded in 2005 and Batman Begins was #5 on my list of that year's best films.

The wait for the upcoming The Dark Knight is already a long one, especially after seeing recent glimpses of Heath Ledger easily fitting into the shoes of The Joker. Nolan clearly knows what he's doing, so I have total faith in this film. And now it's getting even bigger.

Scott Bowles of USA Today fame has reported that Nolan will be shooting four segments of The Dark Night in the 15-perf, 65mm IMAX format, one of which includes the entrance of the Joker (which now means I should probably avoid all of the trailers for the film which are sure to reveal these).

Since Warner is a big gambler in the IMAX, DMR blow-ups, do we think that a great step has been taken towards, I dunno, shooting an ENTIRE FEATURE FILM THIS WAY? Or at the very least in the Super Panavision 70mm format, which would also allow cinemas to project this superior, stronger film format and allow easier transfers to IMAX/DMR prints?

Jason
efilmcritic.com

No comments: