Thursday, April 19, 2007

Goodbye National


How bizarre, that I'm choked up about a LA-based cinema that I have never been to. The Mann National is closing tonight with its final show being the 10:10 screening of the alright-picture Shooter.

I wrote an article earlier this week on efilmcritic.com about the cinema's closing (putting on hold my piece on the Austin, TX based Alamo Drafthouse cinemas). There you will find Cinematreasures and Cinematour links to pictures and commentary about the cinemas. I'd fire more links, but I want you to read my article first, silly!

I don't go to LA much (I actually haven't been there since November, 2000!), but I have read many articles, spoke with many LA friends and done much research about the cinema and am very sad to see it close. The closing is also a very important one, as it is symbolic of gala cinemas in larger cities closing because of nearby megaplexes. So while the National is gone in Westwood, you can still go to the Village (which is probably only still surviving because it hosts every second LA premiere) or the smaller Bruin, or head on over to the AMC Century City, the Arclight or the Grove, all of which are swanky megaplexes. Boo.

So if you're reading this and in the LA area, go tonight! I know there will be a bunch of film fans there tonight who are also a bit miffed about this gem of a cinema closing.

Jason
efilmcritic.com

No comments: