Monday, July 12, 2004

Swimming and Activeness Rule

Hey everyone, (and if you read this by the way, drop a comment if you feel like it!)

I love swimming. Whenever I'm in Victoria on the weekend I try my best to get Marty together and go for about a 2/2.5 hour swim at either Commonwealth Pool or at Crystal Pool which is near downtown. Do some laps in the deep pool, do some free-falling off the 5-metre board, a couple of waterslides, and some very intense soaking in the hot tub. Ahhh, hot tub. Nothing better. All of this theraputic bliss for a five-spot? It's better than half the movies that I see, and those sometimes cost more!

These past few weeks I've been trying my best to be quite health-savvy, making sure that my eating and workout habits have been improving. This normally involvs a good balance of milk, cereals, fruits, vegetables and, of course, the occasional bad food from time to time. Add to that, I have this pretty awesome ski machine/treadmill that I knock about 20-25 minutes on about four-five times a week before work. It sure hurts the first few minutes I'm on that machine, but before I know it I'm sweating like crazy and I feel more energized than ever before.

And I don't know how, but I've knocked caffeine. It's been over two weeks since I drank caffeine, and I simply don't want it anymore. If you know me, I've been known to go head-first to the litre-bottle of Dr. Pepper at 7-11, now it's a big bottle of Dasani. Yep, you guessed it, I'm addicted to bottled water. Even the ones where they use salt in their filtration process (Dasani, Aquafina, I'm looking at you!), but hey, you still need salt to live, and as long as you don't dump two packets worth of McDonalds salt on your dinner, I say bring on the salt in the water.

Which is not to say that I've written all the bad food off of the face of the earth, I still enjoy a big Blizzard at Dairy Queen or an A&W burger; heck last week while doing a Costco run with my mom, I did a devilish turn and got their ridicoulsy delicious and fattening poutine. The coolest food invention by Canadians, bar none. I even think the heavenly creation is making its way down into the US now, so find it if you can. Be warned, however: you gain a pound.

All said, I think I like where I'm going with this. I feel more productive during the day and I am sure sleeping a lot better (roughly the same 6-7 hours I normally get every night), and the waistline appears to be going down. It's going to take a lot of discipline and hard work to better my physique, but I think I'm ready for the challenge. 'sides, I'm looking at the road ahead, and I don't want to have horrible health problems down the road. And I'm having fun along the way.

What else: caught an IMAX screening of "Adreanline" tonight at the museum. It's been a while since I've seen the flick on the format, which I've never been the biggest fan of. I still say that large format 70mm for films is the way to go, and here's hoping that New Line Cinema, who recently said that they had interest in the nearly-dead large format for a future relase, does something with it. Fingers crossed that this happens and we can have a slight return to the classiness and magic of actually going to the movies, rather than waiting for the DVD.

Jason
efilmcritic.com

No comments: