Monday, June 04, 2007

David Byrne says you're going to track down my DVD instead of renting Because I Said So.


Since there are no new DVD's to recommend this week (unless, that is, you're dying to see Eddie Murphy in a fat suit all over again), I'm going to mention two films on DVD, the latter of which I'm anticipating I'll be making a double dip on soon:

Stop Making Sense - I had a stat holiday day off last week and not much to do, so I decided to give the 'ol house some cleaning. And there's no better way to clean your tabletops and dust off your shelves than to crank your speakers and jam out to what is possibly the greatest concert film ever made. Jonathan Demme filmed three nights of Talking Heads shows when they played in LA in 1983, and the resulting concert film is both a technical masterpiece and a study on the importance of shared experience and the way that live, performed music can make a connection to the viewer. Not only that, this film is flat-out fun and alive.

The Third Man: Criterion Collection - The journey of good 'ol Holly Martins to find Harry Lime in shadow soaked Vienna is all nice and restored; what else would you expect from Criterion? A new film print has been unearthed and slightly windowboxed to battle with all that nasty overscanning your TV does. The 2-disc set also has all new bells and whistles including a commentary by Steven Soderbergh and enough documentaries to cover this Carol Reed gem. I have yet to give this disc a spin (oh wait, I have to BUY it first) but I can't wait to check it out.
Jason
efilmcritic.com

(Also, I missed a Lazy Sunday update due to helping a friend move into his new house. More pictures are getting uploaded this week.)

No comments: