Sunday, February 18, 2007

Oscar 2006 Predictions...Best Supporting Actress

Here is the first in a series I'll try to write about right up to the February 25th telecast of those pesky Oscars we either hate to love or love to hate.

My predictions will be based on my gut feeling, basing it on buzz of the performance, tracking previous awards and...well, I've guessed these pretty well over the years, so what's stopping me now?

I will then choose my favorite from the lot, if anyone cares.

So who's up for this particular award? The nominees:

Adriana Barraza, Babel
Cate Blanchett, Notes on a Scandal
Abigail Breslin, Little Miss Sunshine
Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
Rinko Kikuchi, Babel

It was not surprising to see my gal Cate and Jennifer Hudson grab their noms, but I was surprised to see two noms for Babel and a score for Little Miss Sunshine herself. Young Ms. Breslin would score my vote in the category, as she was the glue to a pretty great road flick.

Cate already won two years ago for her take on Katherine Hepburn and I doubt she will repeat the win two years later for what is still a good performance. Both Barraza and Kikuchi may cancel each other out for their work in Babel, and both parts were somewhat miniscule.


Jennifer Hudson simply has IT right now. She's the hot shit and the academy knows it, and her win at the Golden Globes has her pegged for this award. And since Dreamgirls is lacking the prestigious Best Picture and Director, they may choose to give their top honor to Hudson. OR, perhaps they secretly hate this movie SO much that they may choose to pull a Color Purple and send them home empty handed.

In that case, the primo challenger Hudson has is young Abigail, who, if she wins, will be the second youngest winner to Tatum O'Neal in Paper Moon. A LOT of people loved Sunshine and the academy showed their love with four nominations, so this could be the only one it walks away with. Still, it seems Hudson is destined to win.


Who Will Win: Jennifer Hudson
Who Should Win: Abigail Breslin

Jason
efilmcritic.com

No comments: